Monday, February 23, 2015

February update

As usual, I find myself with too many photos and too little time to write about our past two months. Forgive my briefness in the descriptions, but enjoy a little glimpse of our lives.

Grandpa & Grandma Gingerich stayed with us through mid-January. Much fun was had, including a routine exam of grandpa's ears. Don't blame me...he is the one who brought them each a nurse's kit.
 Grandma had the privilege of baking a cake with Lemu...or is it the other way around?
 Home improvement projects were attacked (like this shade cloth put over our porch area).
 We've been enjoying some evening walks as a family. On one of these walks, we stopped beside the grave of the girls' father (Gabriel) and paid our respects. We hope that they will retain memories of both their family and where they've come from.
 My girls LOVE hair and take any chance to don a few strands of it.
 They are still spending a good deal of time in the kitchen with me. And when they're not helping me for real, they're pretending to cook.
 The agricultural year has begun in Timu, as have the fires. People burn the land in order to clear their gardens and for hunting purposes.
 The burned land makes it easier to spot people and animals from miles away.
 We are at the end of dry season and hope to see some rains in the next month or so. For now, we must conserve water and suffer the dry, hot winds. The view below is looking down into western Kenya.
 Speaking of fires, last month I treated a little boy with epilepsy who fell into a fire during a seizure. Although kids here are mesmerized by fires, they also suffer many unnecessary burns.
 Last month I started a new ministry of visiting home-bound individuals. I identified four individuals within a few miles. I'm determined to go visit these elderly (most who are blind) on a monthly basis to see that they're taken care of. I hope that my respect of these individuals will influence others to respect their elders. Sadly, elders in Timu are not treated well. Sabina (below) was the first of my elderly friends to pass away.
 At the end of January, we hosted an AIM prayer team. They came to Timu in order to pray over the place, the people, and the future work of AIM among the Ik. AIM (Africa Inland Mission) team leaders will move to Timu this coming July.
 Here they are praying near the villages where AIM will build a house for it's team leaders.
 These women showed up to participate in the prayers.
 Another exciting development last month was when 12 Ik children were transported to Gulu (central Uganda) in order to enter primary school (elementary) there. Many Ik parents believe that their kids will have more opportunity and a better hope for the future if they can get away from Karamoja to get education. The students below are being sent and supported by a ministry called Family Care Uganda, who know of the Ik and have a heart for their future.
One Friday evening, I sat with the youth of Timu and we went through a True Love Waits training. I don't know what they've retained, but I can only hope that I've planted seeds. 
Swinging from trees
Climbing high
Cornhole in Timu! Thanks, dad, for building this beauty!
At a security training in Kaabong, the kids learned some tips for avoiding 'bad guys'. 
Kicking bad guys
Escaping
We enjoyed a pig roast with our Echelon (Baptist) friends as they celebrated the end of their bush training for six young men in Kaabong.
The delicious results of the pig roast.

2 comments:

The Reeds said...

I just love it. I had no idea that is how I am supposed to kick bad guys. Noted. ;)

Hyasinta Izumba said...

Woow...soooooo interested..