Saturday, August 23, 2014

Waiting

From the beginning of our life journey with Janet & Lemu, waiting has been central to our experience. As a married couple, we waited almost eight years on the issue of having children at all. Toward the latter end of that time, Amber waited on me for a long time to become open to the idea of adopting. Once God opened my heart to that (just as we left Uganda for furlough), we had to wait six months to even take the first steps in that direction (when we got back to Uganda).

After I had that first terrifying conversation with the girls' uncle, Philip---when I asked him if we could help raise these children---we had to wait another two weeks with complete silence from the wider family. Once the family gave us the girls, we embarked on an almost year-long journey of waiting on the lawyers and the paperwork. Then earlier this year, we waited for months and months to get a court date. After we had the court date in late May, we then had to wait a couple of months to apply for passports (the reason we came to Kampala at the start of this month).

We applied for passports, and then started waiting again. We've been waiting for three weeks now. There is man who is trying to keep the pressure on at the passport office to help us out. He tells us that he'll call at such and such a time, and then he doesn't. 10:00 am becomes that evening. That evening becomes tomorrow. Friday becomes Monday, etc. Yesterday he said he'd call in the evening to confirm whether the passports were printed. He didn't call. Before he said that they should be ready for pick-up on Monday. We had been planning to leave for Timu on Sunday. But now we're just waiting again, ever waiting...

When we get the passports, then we have to apply for US visas for the girls. That will require us to wait on an email from the Embassy. When we get that email, we will set an appointment and then wait for the appointment. Then, no doubt, if they don't deny the application then and there, we will wait indefinitely for their verdict. While we wait for that, we have to wait to a) buy plain tickets, b) plan Terrill's defense date in Holland, c) consider going to Nairobi to get visas there, and d) make holiday plans with family.

As you can imagine, all this waiting has the potential to build one's faith or lead one into frustration and anxiety. For us it's been a mixture of both. The hardest part is not being able to control or alter circumstances. But what we're learning is to do what we can (paperwork, etc.) and not worry about what we can't (which is most of it). We know God is testing and growing our trust in him, and we are trying to let that process play out and have its greatest impact on our characters. The following song by John Waller has become our daily testimony; we've been playing it before breakfast every morning for the last three months. Even Janet & Lemu about have it memorized:


"I'm waiting, I'm waiting on You Lord
And I am hopeful, I'm waiting on You Lord
Though it is painful, but patiently I will wait

And I will move ahead bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience

While I'm waiting I will serve You
While I'm waiting I will worship
While I'm waiting I will not faint
I'll be running the race even while I wait

I'm waiting, I'm waiting on You Lord
And I am peaceful, I'm waiting on You Lord
Though it's not easy no, but faithfully I will wait
Yes, I will wait

I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting on You Lord..."

4 comments:

Mary Jane Schrock said...

Who knows but that while you wait, you will be a huge blessing for the kingdom of God. As Grandma says, "Bloom where you are planted". That is her motto as she waits to enter heaven. Would love to be there to help you and the girls spend the time waiting. MJ

Notinthewild said...

I pray every day that we can all be together at Christmas, but knowing that the family is safe and at peace is an unspeakable gift.

The Reeds said...

I'm praying for you guys as you wait.

Richard and Sally Hoffman said...

In the context of our life verse for you among the IK, I Thessalonians 2:8, we pray over you I Thessalonians 1:3 as you WAIT, and as we wait WITH you, for all these things: "We continually remember before our God and Father your WORK produced by FAITH, your LABOR prompted by LOVE, and your ENDURANCE inspired by HOPE in our LORD JESUS CHRIST".