Monday, July 1, 2013

Transitions and chapati-making

We've been back in Timu a few weeks now and are trying to get settled in with the girls. One big decision I've recently made is to quit the clinic work I was doing several mornings a week. It wasn't an easy decision because I've been doing it for so long and the community still has a need for medical care.  However, I've been thinking about my priorities lately and what I really want to see happening in Timu is long-term development vs. short-term solutions. Is there any better way to invest in the long-term than to help raise some of the community's children? We can't see what the future will hold for Janet & Lemu, but we do hope they'll take an interest in their community and culture when they're grown. Maybe one of them will return to Timu one day in the future to empower their people in some way. We dearly hope it will be in spiritual transformation, but we'll be happy if they address other issues as well. 

All this to say that my clinic days are over. I closed up and sent out a letter of explanation to the community. I'll still be available for consultation if someone is really sick, but I'm sending all the minor health problems to the village health workers (local volunteers). I don't think it was a coincidence that two village health workers had 'set up shop' in the clinic while we were on furlough and were attending to the community even before these girls came into our lives. Then when I returned in February, I worked alongside these health workers for three months of training. God has a way of orchestrating these things, doesn't he?

So starting this week, my days will look very differently. You can pray for our family as we make adjustments and I learn to be at home with the girls. I truly desire to be a good mother, yet constantly have this nagging feeling that I don't know what the world I'm doing. ;-) Can anyone relate?

One of the activities that the girls & I enjoy is making chapatis (Indian flat bread). Their favorite part (and my least favorite because of the mess) is mixing the dough. 
It starts out on the hands and somehow ends up on the bottom of their feet, behind their ears and ground into different parts of their clothing. If I had aprons for these girls, I'd still have to scrub dough out of the fabric, so what's the point?
Valuable lesson #1: mixing dough outside.
Lesson #2: finding a way to clean them up outside. 
They roll dough about as good as I do. 
Yes, she was supervised and knows the stovetop is hot. But if she's going to make a chapati for daddy...she needs to see the thing through from start to finish.
Lemu ended up with two cute little chapatis that fit in one pan. Not bad for three years old. Seriously, the thing the girls like the best is to follow me around and help with household chores.
Here is to the start of many chapati-making days!

3 comments:

Theresa M. Camil said...

It's wonderful to hear all that is going on in your lives. It's wonderful to be able to be with the girls all the time and encourage them to help with as much as their ages will allow.

Rich and Sally Hoffman said...

Ŋicapatiika noodowa, Ɲamugata Hyekesie taa baratso “Chapatis today, the Bread of Life tomorrow”. With parents such as the two of you, these girls will clearly be well fed both physically and spiritually. The LORD has clearly led you to make the right decision☺☺☺☺.

Jimmie said...

Ditto what Rich and Sally said. May I ask what type of flour is available for these chapatis? Os the grain grown locally? Such great news that health workers were willing and ready to fill your shoes : )