Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Need to Feed

You've heard the expression: "You are what you eat." On one level, we're like, "Yeah, I get that. If I eat a lot of junk food, I'm not going to be healthy (I'll be junky). And if I eat a lot of healthy food, I'll be, well, healthy." But on another level, the expression is obviously not true. I mean, if you eat a lot of Little Debbie's snacks, you don't literally become a walking Little Debbie snack (at least I hope not!). And if you eat tons of fried chicken, you don't actually become fried chicken.

But, on a much more literal level, you really do become what you eat. Everything you are right now physically, you ate or drank at some point. It started when you were conceived and began taking nutrients from your mother's blood supply. After you were born, you continued ingesting basic elements through milk. And ever since then you've been eating and drinking things that your body digests and either absorbs or discards. Your body is a living collection of basic chemicals and minerals that you've taken in through your mouth and into your stomach throughout your lifetime.

As with the body, so with the spirit. You are also what you eat spiritually. In your spirit, feed on Jesus Christ. He said "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty." At the last supper with his disciples, Jesus broke off a piece of bread and said, "Take this and eat, for this is my body." Feed on Jesus. He used physical bread as a picture of what spiritual nourishment and life his death and resurrection would give us.

We all need to feed. Feeding on food is one of the few, most basic activities of all biological life. Without food, our bodies would not exist. If starved of food, our bodies will shrivel up and die. Our spirits also need to feed. And God has already provided the Bread of Life, Jesus Christ. We feed on him by believing that he was the Son of God and is the Savior of the world. When we welcome him into our hearts, we are eating him, spiritually speaking. But it's not a one-time feast. We must continually eat of the Bread of Life. How do you do that? Well, we're still learning ourselves.



3 comments:

Jimmie D. said...

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God. Feed on his Word, the printed form, and the life Christ lived here as shown in the Word.

Anna said...

Dear Terrill and Amber
I thank you for your beautiful blog and I am sorry if I comment on this post and with a more banal issue, but I dont find any contact to which I can write.
I am an Italian student in Anthropology and I should try to reach the Ik in Kamion in the near future, and I would like to share some thoughts with you. If you read this post, can you contact me at annabaral@gmail.com, or give me an email or a telephone number (I am in Kampala now) where I can reach you?
I know I am asking a lot but it would be wonderful to talk to you.
Best,
Anna

rln said...

Amen. Well said:-) And we are still learning as well. . . Mom Velma