Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Leaving is never easy

Now that we're down in Kampala and back in civilization, we'll have a more constant supply of internet to blog with.

We left Timu on Friday at noon. It was a bittersweet drive off the mountain. After three months in Timu, we definitely needed a break from the monotony of our schedule. At the same time, knowing the break would last for six months had us a bit reluctant to leave. I was in a place of emotional numbness as we drove...not knowing how to feel. Relieved for the break? Already missing my children and hilarious old people? Not knowing how I'll readapt to life back in the states?  Wondering about the reverse culture shock? Since then it's been three days and I've had time to think. I've decided that I'll take life one day at a time and deal with the furlough stresses as they come. By God's grace, we made it in Timu (mostly alone) for these past 2.5 years....so by his grace we'll survive the U.S. as well.

But I do already miss my Timu children. Although they can be annoying at times, they provide a daily source of joy for my life. Several evenings a week I would visit a near-by village. As soon as I came into view, the children would shout my arrival and I would turn into the pied piper with children trailing  behind and vying to hold my hand. They just wanted to be a part of something. They also need a break from the monotony of their daily lives and I usually had something to divert their attentions. So this is a good-bye to them for the next six months and a prayer that God will keep them under his hedge of protection. To: Longole, Kusam, Pelin, Night, Lokolikol, Josephine, Ocen, Nakiru, Koko and Lemu (above).
 Here the kids were showing off their skills.
Teresa is the mother of seven of these children. I visit her often because she lets me practice language with her without laughing at me too much. And, she's very chatty even if I can't respond. She wanted me to show you what she does every single night in order for her children to eat. She is grinding maize into a fine flour that she'll make into a porridge to go with the greens that she collected from her garden.
And this is old Cecilia...a character if I ever knew one. She lives life dramatically and when I told her I was going away...she made a show of praying over me and asking God to protect me. Little boys like Thomas like to make fun of Cecilia but they still respect her at the end of the day.

And so, my hiatus from the evening routine in Timu begins.

5 comments:

The Reeds said...

Amber, I love your perspective and view into the lives of Timu. I hang on every word. Can't wait to hear how the journey westward goes...

Love,
Georgia

Cassidy said...

Friends, I am praying for the multitude of emotions and thoughts and details you have swimming through your minds. I am also elated to see you this side of the ocean in a few months. Love you dearly.

Stephen Buerger said...

I met Cecilia, didn't I? :)

Terrill and Amber Schrock said...

Stephen, you did meet Cecilia. Hard to forget, isn't she? Thanks everyone for the prayers as we transition. The thought of all the changes is probably more stressful than the actual changes themselves.

ChadandRachel said...

What the Reeds said, and Cassidy said. We are praying in what must be a time of almost unprecedented emotions.