Sunday, August 7, 2011

Signs of the times

We used to have a 'work hours' sign that we brought from the US up on our fence. Some other Americans who saw it really got a kick out of it because they know the concept of 'work hours' is rather laughable in the context we work in. That sign has long since disappeared, so we decided to take this a step further and paint the sign on our gate, complete with English and a translation into Ik.

Now even if people don't actually adhere to the posted hours, we can still refer to the sign in a (nearly vain) attempt to defer their requests to the appropriate day and time slot. And in doing so we can at least pretend that this gesture carries some weight in this culture, at least enough to convince ourselves. That may be what we need to reserve some semblance of control.


So far the Ik haven't seemed terribly impressed with the sign. As I proudly showed off the Ik portion to our translator, he pointed out the one error I had made (which means he's a good language teacher!). But the most favorable reaction we've had was from the children whom we found trying to copy the writing in the dirt right in front of the door. I guess they're getting the literacy program off the ground on their own. Works for me!

Oh, by the way, I'll accept comments to this post Mon, Wed, and Fri, from 3-5pm, by appointment only.

6 comments:

The Reeds said...

Ha!

Rich and Sally Hoffman said...

TEREKA NA MARAƊ! No matter when the literacy program “officially” begins, we love the way the kids are “getting it off (or on☺!) the ground on their own”☺☺!!

Notinthewild said...

Darn I'm too early! Be back to post later!

ChadandRachel said...

It's 3-5 pm somewhere . . .

Notinthewild said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
EVERYBODY LOVES YOU

Anonymous said...

I think its wonderful that you got the med supplies and I hope my post finds both of you in good health. Hope the apple laptop is working out very well. I cherish the ik pillow I have.


C.l. Powell
texaskeeter924@me.com