Saturday, February 5, 2011

A little extra something

Some people call it good luck, others call it good fortune. In the language of faith, we might call it blessings or grace. What I'm talking about is that 'little extra something', those little twists and turns of fate and providence that 'make our day', those quirks of life that are above and beyond what we need to merely survive. I think all people experience this thing I'm hinting at, but learning to recognize them and be thankful for them doesn't always come easily.

This week Amber and I have received 'a little extra something' in the area of transportation. We came down to Kampala on Monday to have a break, buy supplies, and pick up visitors. We decided to fly down instead of drive, so all week we've had to rely on either our legs or public transport to get around. Using public transport can be frustrating, tiring, and risky (not to mention expensive...), but this week our travel was touched with 'a little extra something' that made me pause, smile, and be thankful. I want to tell you about just three scenarios.

Coming back from Jinja, we were waiting for a 'taxi', a mini-van that carries 14 passengers, has no seat-belts, often speeds, and is generally uncomfortable and unsafe. Before we could board one, a small privately-owned car stopped and offered us a ride for the same price. The ride was comfortable, at a decent speed, and we arrived in Kampala safe and sound. That was the first scenario.

A day later we were walking out of our guesthouse to find a motorcycle taxi to take us to find a larger mini-van taxi to take us to Entebbe. Just as we stepped outside the guesthouse gate, the guesthouse manager was pulling in with his vehicle. He asked us if we needed a ride somewhere. We said 'yes', and he took us to the taxi stage, about a twenty-minutes' drive away. That was the second scenario.

Yesterday we needed to pick up some visitors from the bus station. They were supposed to arrive between 8:00-10:00 p.m. but got delayed until 3:00 a.m. I was planning to walk down the hill in the evening, hire one of the many taxis in the area, and go get them. But during the early hours of the morning, I knew taxis would be harder to find, and I didn't relish the idea of riding around on a motorcycle taxi, or walking on foot, looking for one. Then I called a guy whose number I had had in my phone since 2008. I knew he ran a taxi service. Even though he had just got back from a job at midnight, and with me calling him at 1:00 a.m....AND though he had a long trip to take today, he agreed to take us to pick up our visitors. That was the third scenario.

These examples of 'a little extra something' in our transportation ordeals may seem simple or silly, but they didn't escape my notice and I didn't want them to escape mention either.

5 comments:

The Reeds said...

Thank God for His provision.

So I'm curious... Is it worth it to fly and avoid the long drive or is it better to drive down and have your own vehicle?

We'd love to see pics of you guys living it up in the Big K.
We love you and always lift you up,
g (& J- and Daisy says a very special grrrrrr)

velma said...

Yea! Always heartwarming to hear such stories. Thanks! NOw, I s'pose you are with Phils! Am eager to hear about that trip as well!

Terrill and Amber Schrock said...

This MAF flight was particularly unpleasant (heat in the airplane and turbulence in the air) so as of right now, I prefer to drive. Also, it's a pain to hire taxis all the time to get around KLA.

It's been a busy week in KLA and a little too short to 'live it up'. If we weren't rushing everywhere, we would've taken more pics. Next time.

Yes! Uncle Phil & aunt Twila are visiting and we're having a marvelous time with them.

Amber

Tammy On the Go said...

what a blessing to be able to see the hand of God in our day to day, so many miss it.

Anonymous said...

I've been following your blog for about 6 mos (don't know how I found it on the internet). Our niece and her husband (Carol and Matthew Long) work with the same non-profit. Imagine my surprise when I saw a little article in their newsletter about you both and what you are doing!! Blessings to you both...