Wednesday, January 5, 2011

When Strangers Become Friends

As surprising as it may sound, we often receive visitors to our remote little corner of Uganda. Whether they are related to us and come out of strong familial ties or just believers who want to come and make a difference in the world, we usually have a wonderful time and end up blessed by our visitors. This happened once again this past December. Two nursing students from our home church in Tallahassee came over for three weeks to spend time with us & the Ik and get a taste of what life is like on the mission field. Jenna & Taylor came as strangers to us as we'd never met them before but by the end of our time together, they were dear friends.

They helped me to run the clinic, put on a garage sale for a bunch of coats/sweaters that was collected & sent over from our home church & measure about 160 children for school uniforms. On top of that, they washed countless dishes, played with countless children and were always available to lend a hand. I actually found that I had more energy & enthusiasm than usual while they were with us. God reminded me just how much I need friends & fellowship even in a remote part of the world, because when I have them I feel like a healthier individual. It reaffirms the notion that (wo)man was not made to live alone...we were created to be in fellowship...to love and be loved. I just want to take this opportunity to thank Jenna & Taylor for pouring into our lives this past Christmas. My dad used to say that he didn't know any strangers, just friends he hadn't met yet. Maybe there's something to that.




3 comments:

The Reeds said...

Absolutely lovely...

I love the tree too.

Taylors Parents said...

Terrill & Amber thank you so much for giving our daughter Taylor such a tremendous opportunity and experience in sharing in your ministry. It will be one of those once in a life time experiences, one that will trully impact her.We pray that your impact on the Ik will continue to be fruitful!
Thanks Mike & Laurie

Taylor said...

thanks guys, this one made Jenna and I tear up