Sunday, September 12, 2010

Welcome

I thought it was about time to give you a glimpse of our Timu home. I got the idea from our friends, Travis & Andrea Williamson, who are currently living with the Gumuz people in Ethiopia. I appreciated knowing where they spend their time and I thought our friends & family might appreciate the same. We started building this house in May of last year and started living in it by October. Now we're spending a majority of our time in Timu and have appreciated the security and perks of our little compound. I feel like I'm 'nesting' a bit among the Ik. We'll blog another day about the guest house/office and other structures on the compound. Today, I'll cover inside our house. Our house is about four and a half feet under ground level. We duck to go inside and then go down these steps. This was for added security and privacy. My kitchen is to the left of the steps and our living room is to the right. We have solar panels that give us light and charge our computer and cell phones. That's about all we use it for. We have a water tank outside from which we collect rain water. When the rains stop, we hire girls to carry water on their heads to our tank. Recently, we've also been carrying water from the well in our vehicle (in jerry cans) because it's faster and the kids love to ride in the vehicle. I sympathize with the girls who have to carry water. I've tried it on several occasions now and it's one of the hardest things I've ever had to do physically. The well is in the valley and we have to walk uphill (about a half mile) with 20 liters of water on our heads. Not my idea of fun.

This is my kitchen. Although there is a blue pipe running into the house from the outside, I don't have water yet. We're working on it....I fill jerry cans of water and use basins to do washing. The plastic white container sitting on our cupboard is a water filter. The water we get from the well is yellow when it comes to us.

This is our living room. We do most of our work from these chairs. We wanted to make it simple enough so the Ik would feel comfortable when coming in to visit us. As it is, our place is pretty ritzy for them. The bottom of the window frame is at ground level.

When we walk to the right of the couch, we go through this little curtain to get to our bedroom & bathroom. I had to include the bamboo curtain in this blog because it was a Goodwill find and Terrill just couldn't live without it. ;) The white canvas hanging beside the curtain is a shoe holder but we use it for a lot else.

This is the foot end of our bedroom where our solar system is stored and where we charge all the cell phones from this area. There's not much room for anything else in the bedroom but a bed.

This is the head. Terrill's been great with helping me to get shelves up on the wall for storage space. When you live in a small space, you have to utilize the walls more.

From our bedroom, we go up three steps to ground level again where our bathroom is located. I've already shown you my shower in a previous blog but wanted to include a picture of the toilet. It's a 15-ft. long-drop latrine. We figure with only two people using it, it will take awhile to fill up.

So that's it. Welcome to my home.

3 comments:

The Reeds said...

It's GORGEOUS! YOu have one of the coolest houses I've ever seen ;). I love the new shelves.

Anonymous said...

I agree!!! Amber, it is beautiful and cozy and so well planned out. It is very cool. You and Terrill have done an amazing job. I can not wait to visit again. I am so glad I had the privilege of seeing it in its beginning stages. May it serve you well as you serve... I love you and love that I got to see your home.

velma said...

"I want to visit your cute little round house. There is not another one like it in the whole wide world!!" Thanks for the tour!!