Friday, September 3, 2010

Something useful

I just have to take a moment to rave about my new drying rack. It's supposed to be for plastic bags and such but I've found it useful for a lot more. This was an early Christmas present from my grandma and it's now one of my most indispensable possessions. There's this great store out of Kidron, Ohio called Lehman's. They produce & sell a lot of goods to the Amish. Things like this rack make life easier. I know it seems like a small thing but let me explain. When we decided to move to Africa, I had to sell/give away most of my 'stuff'. I couldn't bring much with me and had to stick to essentials in the kitchen. And living among the Ik, it would be imprudent of us to have a lot of 'things' that are just dust collectors. We invite them into our house from time to time and they want to look at and touch everything. Because of this, I've brought only those things that are functional to our village home. The Ik are going to ask questions and will want to know why we might have something that we can't use. Now I can proudly point to my bag dryer and tell them of all it's uses.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! I am always trying to figure out what I can stand my plastic bags on to dry them out.
Hmmm....now to make one!
Love you,
Mary

Cassidy said...

Me TOO. What a frugal, reusable little friendship society we 3 have. :)

Notinthewild said...

Not only was this a lovely Christmas present, replete with colorful cups it makes an ideal Christmas decoration.