Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Slow, fat, white & hairy

I was told yesterday that I'm a slow, fat, hairy, white & 100% woman (whatever that means). If anyone on the other side of the Atlantic had said these things, I probably wouldn't have been flattered but the context is everything. My friend, Esther, told me I'm slow because I'm not picking up the language as quickly as Terrill is. Okay...he's a linguist, I'll let that comment slide. Her daughter, Siti, told me I'm fat (which means healthy in their minds). I was supposed to be flattered. They were comparing our ankles and mine were definitely twice the size of theirs. Sit's cousin, Lucy, told me I'm hairy. She was examining my arm hair closely. This was all new to them because they have very little hair on their entire bodies. They love touching the hair on my head and brushing it out of my face. People with bangs, beware. Then last night, we were sitting beside the fire and my legs were glowing in the darkness of night. Someone shouted out, you're too white. Hey...can't do much about that unless I want to put myself at risk for skin cancer. At the end of the night, our friend Lojore walked us back to our compound. We were discussing the possibility of walking to Kaabong one day. It would be an 8-hour walk through the bush for us. Lojore said that he didn't think Terrill would have any problem but that he wondered if I'd make it. I asked why I couldn't do it...always up for a challenge. He said that I'm all woman and they have more trouble then men when walking long distances. I wonder what it means to be 1/2 woman....

4 comments:

The Reeds said...

Oh Amba.. That is so funny!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I too am laughing! Slow, fat, hairy, white and all woman. That is our girl! And we are so proud of her. I know your parents must be too! Can't wait to hear how that walk is....something tells me you may take the challenge some day. (But only if it really is safe!!! please....) Love, your even slower, fat, hairy, white woman friend, Mary.

velma said...

hahaha too funny. I think you are sharp, fast, slender, and with a little help from Nair, totally NOT hairy:-) just kidding about the Nair:-) And above all, you are LOVELY!

Doug Gingerich said...

You inherited 4 out of 5 of those from yo Daddy, I do not claim th e all woman, but I would not bet against you making that walk, i am aware of a few other traits that you got from Mama!