Saturday, August 7, 2010

Peas talks

I'm not really a gardener...not even an amateur. I dabble in growing fruits and vegetables. Most of the time this involves buying seeds and asking people how to plant them. The Karamojong & Ik have shared many different techniques with me about how to grow things. There are some things, however, that they've never grown before. This is when the confusion starts. I bought a packet of Burpees Sweet Peas in Florida and brought them all the way to Uganda to see if I could grow peas from Timu. My friend, Lojore, and I read the instructions on how to plant them. I showed him the packet so he would know how they were supposed to look. During rainy season, they started growing nicely. The pods were getting bigger when I left Timu for our break over the summer. I thought Lojore would know to pick the peas when they reached full size. Instead, upon returning, I found all the plants dead and the peas harvested....but not eaten. Lojore had allowed the peas to dry out and had saved every last pea for me. It was thoughtful. In his mind, this plant looked like a bean they call K20. For the K20 plant, you let the pods get dry, then you harvest the beans and boil them for a tasty dinner. Even though I had showed him what the peas would look like at harvest, he acted from experience and did what he's always done with his bean plants. It wasn't a waste. From that one Burpees packet, I now have x20 as many seeds to plant during the next rainy season. Hopefully I'll be around for their harvest and I can show the Ik when to harvest peas and how to cook them. Lojore realizes that our small compound is not big enough for a nice garden so he's decided to offer us some of his land in order that we might plant more next year. He's also hinted that we should bring a tractor up to Timu for planting and maybe...just maybe let other people benefit from it's use as well. ;)

3 comments:

The Reeds said...

To be an amateur your garden looks absolutely amazing!! (And it was great of him to save them all for you. He's a keeper!)

Miss you guys.. Thanks again for multiple cups of coffee and chai.

tongchen@seattle said...

great blog. my blog is here:
http://blog.sina.com.cn/usstamps
thanks!

Tammy On the Go said...

I love keeping up with this blog...