Monday, May 31, 2010

A tedious chore...

...is cleaning the rice. I buy it locally from my friend in Kaabong. I usually buy 2 kilos of rice at a time and my friend scoops it from a 100-kilo sack in her shop. Gone are the days of going to the grocery store and picking out a perfectly clean bag of rice. These days, I sit and sift through our rice so we won't chip our teeth on rocks...choke on bits of wire...swallow the hard beans and pieces of corn that are somehow mixed in...or ingest random pieces of plastic. I do hereby promise not to ever complain about the price of packaged rice again.
On the other hand, it feels good to be eating something that was grown in Uganda. This is one way to help the economy here and support small-scale farmers. Maybe picking through rice is worth it after all if it means improving someone else's life.


4 comments:

The Reeds said...

How had I blocked this out of my memory?? Tedious is right...

But YAY for no broken teeth!!

velma said...

ooh how i remember the first meal i cooked when i didn't know to clean it. we chomped on rocks!!

Janice said...

This should remind me to be thankful when I grab that bag of Uncle Ben's rice from the shelf :).

Anonymous said...

I remember that job!!! Mary