Wednesday, March 3, 2010

You know you're in another culture when...

Amber and I made a bet about something last week. If she won, I was supposed to take her out for Indian food as soon as we came back to Uganda (if I won, it was supposed to be steak). I won, but somehow Amber's first meal back in Uganda still turned out to be Indian. :)

Our waiter at the restaurant kindly, if unsolicitedly, told me his name, which to my ears sounded like "Greece" (I couldn't imagine why it would be "Grease"...). I thought perhaps his parents had some connection or fascination with the country of Greece. Later, I pointed out to Amber that his name was Greece, but she heard something more like "Crease". Okay, I thought, I DO know a guy named Bob Creson (our esteemed president of Wycliffe). And I remember that Denzel Washington was called "Creasy" by the little girl he was supposed to protect in the movie Man on Fire. "Greece", "Crease"...whatever. A guy's got a right to be named whatever he is named. Fair enough.

Then Amber started laughing (at me? with me?) because she realized the waiter's name was...simply..."Chris"---"Chris" pronounced with a Ugandan accent. She doesn't often get to laugh at her linguist husband's linguistic mistakes, but whe she does, she takes advantage of it. I guess I don't blame her. :)

4 comments:

Cassidy said...

It is 9:38 p.m. Tallahassee time, and I am laughing out loud because I can hear Chris saying he is "Ghris" or "Greece" and I can't stop giggling. Welcome home to Uganda, and Indian food, and delightful African-English. Missing you two already. :)

Anonymous said...

Great stories! More important you had a safe trip back. Glad to know...Pat Geipel

Leslie said...

Way to go, Amber! Sorry, Terrill. :)

Leslie said...

Way to go, Amber! Sorry, Terrill. :)