Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Can I Can?

I have one of the best grandmas in the whole world. Her name is Doris and she's always been a loving and supportive teacher of various life skills. I admit to being a young whipper-snapper who needs help to do 'stuff'. One of the problems I came up against in Uganda was how to preserve food. I don't have refrigeration while living in the village (Timu) which makes it difficult to keep nutritious food around. Basically, we have to resort to canned goods and dried foods. We'll have fresh food for a few days but it all eventually goes bad. And then...grandma taught me how to can. I went to visit her in January and we spent several hours going over the finer points of using a canner and getting a sealed product. I was pretty proud of my salsa. The easy part was doing this alongside grandma. The hard part would be doing it by myself.But...I am not one to give up or admit defeat quickly. After arriving in Kaabong, I took the plunge and tried my hand at canning. I brought the 1/2 pint jars along with me from the U.S. I can't find any canning supplies here. The 1/2 pint jars are perfect for one meal between me & Terrill. My first attempts were at canning ground beef and pineapple (separately of course). I humbly thank God for letting all of my cans seal so that we have food to take to Timu. My next try at canning will be vinegar green beans. Now I know that it can be done! Thanks Grandma Stutzman!

5 comments:

velma said...

i'm quite proud of you!

The Reeds said...

This is so awesome!! We'll have to learn how to "really" do it!! Jacob is going to be so impressed...

HannahGingerich said...

Way to go Amber...

Justin and Hannah Gingerich said...

I'm proud of ya Amber...

Tammy On the Go said...

my sister went from not being able to make instant pudding to moving up north and marrying a pastor and joining the rest of the ladies up there. She now cake decorates, cans, sews, gardens....and all very well!