Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving




One thing about living in a remote, semi-desert corner of Uganda is that major American holidays like Thanksgiving tend to fail in delivering that warm, familiar holiday feeling we're used. Still, this Thanksgiving, we were fortunate enough to celebrate our thankfulness with some friends from Medair. Amber prepared a morish meal of pork loin, mashed potatoes, golden oats, glazed carrots, pumpkin pie and a simply unbelievable apple pie. Each one of us at the table shared at least five things we were thankful for, and for the rest of evening we basked in the glow of friendship and communal gratitude. Thanks!

3 comments:

Jennie said...

Ooooo goldenoats! What a perfect addition to the Thanksgiving feast! :) I miss it, and you! Thanks for the pictures, great to know you celebrated with your international friends. Love you guys!

Theresa said...

Happy Thanksgiving. Love, Eric and Theresa

Teresa said...

Terrill,

I have been reading through your blogs from recent months and am in awe (yet, not surprised in the least). I always imagined your life would be something like it seems to be- quite surreal actually.

I thought about you today, I think, because my French students are making a creche at our public high school. I had to get special permission and it was quite a big deal in my little world. I feel like quite the rebel for Jesus ;-).So, I wondered, is Terrill out there translating the Bible into obscure African languages as he said he would? And here you are.

Your wife seems amazing. Any woman who can follow you into the wilderness, treat the sick, put up with heat and bugs, and still look beautiful in photographs, is a jewel. You are blessed.

Both of you are leading a life to be written about. I am so impressed. When I tell my students what you can do with a foreign language, you are always an example. I would love if both of you would visit my class (if you ever were in my part of civilization with a bit of time). I am certain it would be a meaningful experience for my kids. Just as some of the people where you are had never traveled twenty kilometers north of their homes, my students cannot imagine life too very far outside the boundaries of Vancleave, MS.

With the coming Christmas season, I send you my prayers for health, safety, and happiness. God bless and keep you in all you do.

Teresa Payne Hay