Monday, November 24, 2008

Lwala







Last Saturday I went to climb an 8,055-ft. mountain called Lwala. Accompanying me were friends Nguran, JB, and Jonathan. We parked at a school at the foot of the mountain and hired three schoolboys to guide us up the steep incline. I had forgotten how deceptive mountains can be. Mountains in Karamoja seems even more deceptive than ones elsewhere. Must be a cultural things...oh, wait. What I mean is, at all stages of the hike, the mountain always looked smaller than it really was. It was never as easy as it looked to get from point A to point B. Every ridge above me that I was sure must be the peak, was just another terrace in the mountain's slope. By the time we reached the top, I was exhausted and out of water. Nevertheless, the view was breathtaking, as was the coldish wind and fragrant flora. On the very top we found a tree like a cedar or cypress growing amidst the rocks. Some kind of grass was growing there that smelled so refreshing, Nguran said smelling it was like 'drinking cold water'. I agreed. Wildflowers---at least fifteen different species---blossomed all around. Unfortunately, I forgot the camera, so all I can offer is a couple photos from after-the-fact. Finally, on the way down, I was thirstier than I have ever been in my life. Seriously. I could think of nothing but water. Let me say, when I got home and took that first gulp of water, I knew what heaven must be like. Pure slaking of the thirsts of corruptability.

3 comments:

velma said...

what would it be like to be lost in the desert??? would you have drunk "dirty" water at that point if you found some? i wonder. . .

Chad said...

Nice closing line. That picture of your feet reminds me of the time in Bunda when I was fetching a soccer ball or something from underneath the Land Rover and looked across to see two sets of ankles--and couldn't tell which was yours & which Adili's.

That cedar/cypress tree is kind of surprising. Not my stereotypical African flora. Is it unusual? Did the Africans consider it so?

Jennie said...

wow, I don't think I ever saw those pretty wildflowers, not even in Kidepo! So nice of you to bring them back for Amber! :)