Monday, November 17, 2008

Death at Our Doorstep


Or, at least on our sidewalk. Yesterday around noon I (Terrill) was walking over to our neighbors' house for a game of chess. I stepped outside our back-door and looked ahead to where our dog Buddy was waiting for me. I took a couple of steps forward on our sidewalk when, all of a sudden, a 5-6 ft. snake shot out from just a few feet from where I was walking. My heart nearly stopped. I didn't have the wits to follow the snake enough to know where it went. Instead I ran to our neighbors', called them, and they responded with an arsenal of sticks and other blunt weapons. Unfortunately (or not!), we never found it.


Looking in our snake book later, I confirmed that what I saw and nearly stumbled on was a Cape Cobra, which the book describes as 'unfortunately...both nervous and deadly'. The snake delivers 120-250 mg (ml?) of venom, of which 15-20 is enough to kill an adult human. Needless to say, I was shook up, and I think we are all being a little more cautions of where we tread. As of this morning, I've launched an offical 'snake habitat reduction' campaign on our compound.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think my heart would have stopped. . and thats after I would have screamed loud enough to wake the dead!! I hope you have no repeat visits from the uninvited guest. Jan

Jennie said...

hey - I'm thanking God for you all that it only slithered across your path! I can just see the guys coming out with their sticks...tell Simon H. that I'm disappointed with his tracking abilities these days! :) I'd love to hear what your "snake habitat reduction campaign" looks like!

tmcamil said...

OMG That would have scared me to death.

MJ said...

What language did you scream in, English or IK?

velma said...

HOit ta oui!!! and to think i didn't even consider snakes when we were there! where was buddy that he missed that snake?? maybe in his old age his sense of smell is er aaa leaving him! get that new puppy!! and of course, Thank You God you didn't get injected with venom! mom

Oliver said...

Dorothea told me to tell you: So here, just a few days later, you complain about "Englishes" but within this article you write "I was shook up" ... ;-)
Dorothea added: He may be forgiven, after all, he was shook up. *lol*
And of course: Thank God!!!

Chad said...

My heart DID stop--at just the picture.

The Reeds said...

oh my word!!! I saw what we thought was an Egyptian Cobra by Nagala that was about that long. I'd heard of htem at our house but never seen a big one. I saw a little orange/red one in front of the house. THANK GOD you guys are safe!

As for English, we took an exchange student in this week. Jacob wanted to stand at the door and ceremoniously say, "You are ALMOST welcome!!!!"

We love you guys!
Georgia

Ruby said...

I just thank the Lord for His protection on you! Psalm 91 !!!
Ruby

Magictwicks said...

Hey, maybe you guys could put a bounty on that snake's head. Then the guard would have nothing to fear and also some money to buy some handsome nuts with some fantastic looking punch. -D.